Wednesday 31 March 2010

Sinead's Kilimanjaro Diary

Sinead Tighe will be part of the EBM team trekking Kilimanjaro in June this year, here she writes about how her preparation is going so far...

It’s about 5 weeks since I took the plunge to scale the highest free standing mountain in the world (thank you wiki). So far the training has been mental, (literally) To be honest getting my head around the fact that this is going to become a reality has been a real challenge. For anyone who knows me I’m not exactly what you would call an outdoorsy type! If there’s a bus passing I’m on it, a car...I’m shotgun, not really the words of someone embarking on a 6 day ascent!!

I remember hearing about my cousin, who would spend his evening cycling 30 miles.. and this would be for pleasure! My reaction used to be general dis –belief, tainted with a (he’s the mad one, not me, much more rewarding sitting on the couch with a movie on the download!) But I’ve had to change my attitudes and to be honest it’s been really rewarding. I suppose it’s like any new challenge...giving up smoking.... or starting a new job, it’s all about getting a fresh outlook and finding the hidden pleasures in your new found lifestyle. For me, completing a 22 mile walk was a real confidence booster...suddenly 10 mile walks seemed doable and the feeling of completing them would linger enough to give you drive for the next walk. Now no rose tinted glasses here, my legs were feckin aching, stiff as a board the next day, walking sticks never looked so cool! But where there’s pain, there’s gain and I knew it was doing my body good too which gave me a sense of security.

I’m still a long way off being fit enough, and the other climbers are training flat out, but I guess when something is good, it’s worth doing.


Sinead

No comments:

Post a Comment